Live endoscopy: the patient perspective

"I was glad that I had a doctor who explained the procedure to me in detail before starting. This made me feel well prepared, as I knew what was going to happen and how I would feel during the procedure, which made the whole experience easier."

An endoscopy can be a daunting procedure for patients. Here are some top tips from the patient's perspective to help make it a more positive experience:

1. Explain that the purpose of the procedure is to help you to learn more about the patient's airways and how to treat them
  2. Explain the procedure and how long it will take, so that the patient knows what to expect and feels well prepared
  3. Give information about any sedation being used and explain why it will be used.
  4. Explain that after the procedure their throat may feel a little sore or dry but it that this will not last

Resources

• ELF factsheet on Bronchoscopy (available in 8 languages) EN, DE, FR, ES, GR, IT, RU, PL

ELF are developing a new series of factsheets on tests and procedures. Let us know any topics that you would like covered in a factsheet to give to your patients: info@europeanlung.org